The Franklin County Historical Society is currently seeking the right person for the following position:
Weekend Museum Assistant Manager
The Old Depot Museum serves as the local county museum for the Franklin County Historical Society in Ottawa, Kansas. The weekend museum assistant manager serves as the host/hostess of the historical society by greeting museum visitors, orienting visitors to the museum, and serving as a receptionist, cashier, and assisting in maintaining the museum’s appearance. This position will cover the museum roughly every other weekend, 2 to 3 weekends a month, 10-11 hours total each weekend. There is potential for additional hours during special events if the weekend assistant manager is available. Because the FCHS is a small organization with room for creativity and new programs, there is the potential for special projects based on assistant manager’s skills and interests. This position will answer to the FCHS executive director and the museum manager.
- Opening and closing the Old Depot Museum for weekend hours and occasional events
- Welcoming guests, orienting guests to the museum, answering phone calls
- Answering tourism-related questions (places to eat, bathrooms, bike trails, shopping, parks)
- Ringing up museum store sales, event tickets, and admission fees on a tablet register
- Printing out a financial report and closing out the cash register daily
- Occasional assistance in setting up and tearing down for exhibits, programs, and events at the museum
- Light cleaning as needed (dusting, cleaning glass display cases, restocking paper products in restroom)
- Demonstrate an interest in and willingness to learn about local history
- Ability to engage with ALL visitors and provide quality customer service and a friendly atmosphere
- Reading, writing, verbal communications skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to assist multiple groups and individuals at different stages of their museum visit at the same time (a visitor entering the museum and paying admission, another visitor with a question, another visitor wanting to make a museum store purchase)
- Ability to count money and use a calculator
- Basic computer skills (typing, word processing, internet use, social media)
- Must show attention to detail
- Must be available Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Sundays from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on the weekends scheduled.
- Mobility throughout the shift is required in order to open and close the building, check on visitors, turn on lights and equipment, and spot-clean as needed
- Ability to respond to an emergency situation (for example, a tornado siren), assess potential risks to the museum’s collection (a visitor attempting to handle an off-limits artifact)
Interested in Applying?
E-mail your resume and a letter telling us why you think you’d be a great fit for this position to Diana Staresinic-Deane, Old Depot Museum Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this: